• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Paper and Scissors

      Scandinavian papercraft
      December 14th
      Norwegian paper hearts 

      For as long as I can remember we made paper hearts at Christmas.  As a small child, I recall how difficult it could be but how excited I was to see my finished woven paper heart hung on the Christmas tree holding a few sweets.  Memories are precious don't you think.  In this evocative time of year, it would not feel like Christmas to me if I did not have some paper hearts somewhere in my home.  This year they are to be found on the windowsill in our kitchen.  For details on how to make them click here . Many will argue that these are called Danish hearts, but in my heart they are Norwegian.




      Woven paper hearts in situ in my Christmas kitchen


      This year I have turned my attention to paper cutting baubles.  I had so much fun making these that the midnight oil was struck a few weeks ago as I just could not stop.  Fun, quick and easy to make.  I followed my pencil literally as I did not have a pattern and made it up as I went along.  All you need is some paper, a craft knife and some imagination.  The baubles are hung up in my study...


      Paper baubles on the window. looking from the outside in 


      Paper baubles on the window, looking from the inside out
      Like snowflakes, no two baubles are the same




      The Scandinavians have always enjoyed paper crafts at Christmas and the intricate details that some can manage is astonishing, the next link is for paid paper cuts but I show it here to give you an idea of what the Scandi's get up too... Swedish paper cut mobiles  And pop over and look at Ingrid's blog,
      she maybe German but fell in love with paper art whilst in Denmark ... Ingrid    Norwegian artist Karen Bit has an international reputation for her paper art, it is beyond unbelievable.  And to give you some ideas of what you can do at home just look at this page from Pinterest:  paper cut 

        Have you dabbled in paper cutting? 

      6 comments:

      1. Lovely. What a great idea. I might have a go. x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. ooh please do Karen and let me know how you get on x

          Delete
      2. When I was small, we made snowflakes and I did that with my boys, too. I haven't done this sort of paper cutting, but it looks like fun. I'll see if I can try it before Christmas. I've looked at books on paper cutting, too, but you make it seem so much more accessible. Thanks, Selma. Tt was fun peeking into your study :-) And the paper hearts are just the thing! I am making some small ones for my own window this year. I also found a pattern for a crocheted version of the heart and have one half done, but it's on hold for a bit. Peace and calmness to you and rememer, the weekend is almost upon us! <3 ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. What a lovely complement Linne thank you. Hope you do get a chance to have a go soon x

          Delete
      3. Your paper cut baubles are beautiful and thank you for the reminder on how to make the hearts... it is years since I made them

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. ooh Gina, let me know if you make more paper hearts x

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...