• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Norwegian Cake for Christmas

      Cardamom cake
      December 9th

      Christmas baking in Norway is all about warming spice.  It's a cold time of year and anything that can warm you is a hit.  This cake takes a whopping 450g of flour but it is so worth it!
      Allow the cardamom cake to cool in the tin
      for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack
      I dare you to be different this year and try this cake instead of something that you would normally bake...


      Cardamom cake with coffee drizzle
      ~ for the original recipe go look at the fabulous website that is Sweet Paul


      You will need:
      Cardamom cake with coffee drizzle
      ♥  250 g butter
      ♥  285g brown sugar
      ♥  4 eggs
      ♥  1 cup of milk
      ♥  2 tablespoons of vanilla essence
      ♥  450g plain flour
      ♥  2 tsp of ground cardamom
      ♥  1 tsp of baking powder
      ♥  1/2 tsp baking soda
      ♥  1/2 tsp salt                                                       





      For the drizzle you will need:
      ♥  1 cup of icing sugar
      ♥  2 tablespoons strong coffee



      1♥    Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius

      2♥    Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar

      3♥    Add eggs, milk and vanilla.  Whipping together until light and fluffy.

      4♥    Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt.  Mix till all combined, do not over mix.

      5♥    Pour/spoon the batter into a prepared greaseproof paper tin and bake for about 1 hour or until golden and set.  It should come away from the edges a bit.

      6♥    Cool cake in the tin for about 10 mins before completing the cooling off period on a wire rack.

      7♥    Whisk together the icing sugar and coffee and drizzle over the cooled cake.


      The drizzle works surprisingly
      well with the cardamom cake

      This cake has the taste of a Scandinavian Christmas without being too rich or too heavy.  I really love this cake.  Sweet Paul, you've done it again, great evocative Christmas tasting cake.  It will become a staple in my Christmas baking book.

      ♥  Do you have any Christmas recipes you care to share? 


      6 comments:

      1. Oh Yum,I have just ordered a new packet of the spice so will be making this on the day it arrives.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Perfect timing Pam, hope you like it as much as I do, please let me know x

          Delete
      2. I don't have any cardamom here; I'll have to see if the cousins likeit or not. If not, I shall add this recipe to my To Bake list . . . It sounds lovely to me. warm hugs to you. ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It will keep for another time, pretty sure you will like it Linne x

          Delete
      3. Thank you for another great holiday recipe! I made this cake yesterday and cut the recipe in half, using oil instead of butter. I baked it in a round 7 inch pan and It turned out great with such a fine texture. It's a perfect cake for the holidays. Many thanks, Pat xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Oh Pat! you've made my day, so happy you made and enjoyed it!

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...