• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      A Scandinavian Christmas kitchen

      December 5th 2018

      Christmas kitchen eclectic style
      Every year for as long as I can remember December 1st morning was filled with anticipation.  Our house changed miraculously overnight.  I don't mean from a family home into a castle or palace, nothing so grand or magical but actually magical it was.  Our small brown kitchen at home growing up had a Christmas makeover every year and we would wake up to a kitchen dressed in all its red glory.

      Why decorate the kitchen in red on December 1st?  This is the central place of the home, the hub where in our house almost everything important happens.  We greet each other in the mornings, we cook and bake, friends come and join us for coffee sitting at the breakfast bar, my husband returns home and we share a glass of something together, friends come for dinner and we all  end up cooking and laughing and sometimes crying in this space, the children, when they were smaller, completed their homework assignments here and I spend hours upon hours, flitting from one thing to another in this room of the house.  Important and frivolous conversations have taken place in this very room, the heart of our home.  And so it is with love on the eve of December 1st, I create a small piece of joy.

      Welcome to my Christmas kitchen...


      Making use of the windowsills to add in extra red


      Candles are never far away from a
      Scandinavian home

      Spot the large terrine, it is from Porsgrund porcelain and was gifted
      to me by my Norwegian grandparents on my 18th birthday,
      it is part of the traditional Christmas 'Nisse' dinner service 


      Even the cat likes the red!
      or just the comfy cushion?

      Using red tea towels also counts

      Adding a few red utensils is a cheap
      and effective way to add red to the kitchen

      The more light you can add in on these
      dark nights the better as far as I am concerned


      I love my Norway, 'Norge' tea light holder,
      but I tend to use it for many other things too




      My Norwegian Christmas dinner service and even
      the plate rack has red lace ribbon edging,
      anywhere I can add red, I do!


      Do you decorate your kitchen for Christmas?

        Wishing you all a great day 

      9 comments:

      1. I love your twig Santas, aren't they gorgeous. x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Karen, very easy to make from thickish twigs and a bit of paint.

          Delete
      2. Your kitchen looks gorgeous - so cheerful :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It brings me joy every time I walk in there Shelagh

          Delete
      3. What a delight to visit and enjoy the peace and cheer in your kitchen. Stunning!

        ReplyDelete
      4. Lovely and festive. I think you've posted before about how your kitchen goes red for Christmas. :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You are right, well remembered. I keep the traditions going x

          Delete
      5. I love your kitchen, especially the wooden beams. And the terrine; what a wonderful gift! My Mum's mormor gave each of her grand-daughters a china cup and saucer and some of them survived to the end of their lives. I shall have to give that some thought (for my own grand-daughters). But what I noticed most was that you have a Calico cat! How did I not know that? Or did I simply forget? Anyway, they are my second favourite cat and I hope to have another one day.

        I love the tradition of adding red to the kitchen on the first of December; I shall do that myself once I have a kitchen of my own.

        I love your traditions, Selma; reading about them is so inspiring and joyful for me. Love and Light to you. ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...