• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Nothing Biscuits

      December 14th

      It's the weekend and I don't know about you but I need some joy, so let's begin with some baking, I just love the name of these cookies, Nothing Biscuit.  These are new to me and I love the idea that these 'Ingenting' biscuits are derived because after eating and especially around Christmas time we always say we can eat nothing more, yet we seem to be able to manage to slip one of these Nothing biscuits down with a cup of tea or coffee.  Go on, give them a try...

      Thanks to the wonderful Bronte Aurell and her equally lovely book Fikka & Hygge from which these cookies come from, our 6th of 7 bakes this Christmas 2019.
      Chill the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes

      Ingenting 'Nothing' Biscuits 

      You will need: 


      For the base:

      300 g plain flour
      2 egg yolks
      175g butter
      2 tbsp double cream
      25g icing sugar
      1/2 tsp lemon zest


      For the meringue topping:

      2 egg whites
      pinch salt
      275g caster sugar
      Cut out 5 cm diameter circles,
      the dough should be 3-4 mm thick
      1 tsp vanilla sugar or extract
      1 tsp white wine vinegar
      3 tbsp finely chopped almonds ~ these can be omitted, but I wouldn't!
      (I also use 1/2 tsp of cornflour in my meringue mixture, but Bronte does not do this, so it is up to you)



      Put all the ingredients for the base biscuit in a mixer/food processor and whizz together until it forms a smooth dough.

      Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of half an hour.

      On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about a thickness of 3-4mm.

      Using a fluted cookie round cutter (I used one with 5cm diameter), stamp out the circles, you should have enough dough for about 30-40 bases.

      Place on a greaseproof paper-lined baking sheet.  Leave to one side whilst you make the meringue topping.

      Spoon on the meringue, you can go
      close to the edge as they will not swell much
      For the meringue, beat the egg whites with the salt until very stiff.  Slowly add the sugar, vanilla, white wine vinegar and cornflour if using. and continue to whisk.  Keep whisking to ensure the meringue begins to look shiny. and forms stiff peaks.  Fold in the chopped almonds.

      Pipe or spoon (I spooned) the meringue onto of the bases, you can go close to the edge as the meringue
      will not spread much.

      Bake in a preheated oven at 160 Degrees Celcius for about 18-20 minutes, or until the base of the biscuits is cooked and the meringue is slightly coloured.

      Cool on a wire rack and see if you could not eat anything else or perhaps squeeze one or two of these in ...






      See the chopped nut in the meringue topping.  These are sweet melt in the mouth cookies.

      Ingenting  'Nothing' Biscuits


      These may just be my current favourite sweet bite. 


        Hope all your preparations are going well, 
      what do you have left to do? 




      6 comments:

      1. Another triumph Selma, I like the way that your biscuits are all so different. I would make all of them if I were more organised! x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You always come across as very organised to me Karen! And thank yiu for all your kind comments. You have no idea how much they mean to me x

          Delete
      2. They look delicious and as Crimson Kettle says, really different. I have everything left to do and I'm trying not to think about it. CJ xx

        ReplyDelete
      3. These remind me of a recipe that from my mother-in-law who had Norwegian roots - she called them Morkakor - and they are indeed delicious!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ah lorries that's great to hear. I will ask mamma about morkakor thanks for the comment.

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...