• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Paper weaving

      December 5th

      Last year I proofread a beautiful book all about paper weaving created by the very talented Charlotte
      Woven animal heads Scandinavian style
      Engle.  She had asked me to proofread it as her native tongue is Danish, she was worried that her English may not be up to the task to translate her work herself.  Without generalising too much, I do feel that the continent put us to shame in their command of other languages.  Charlotte need not have worried as her English only needed the very teeniest of tweaks in only one or two places.  And, in addition, the book and the makes were out of this world. 

      With the Christmas holidays fast approaching, looking to perhaps keep the small ones occupied, who am I kidding, get down and make these yourself, they are so much fun! these Scandinavian woven ornaments would make a great activity.  All you need is paper or card, glue and scissors, a little patience and you have a whole lot of fun.  As children in Scandinavia both at school and at home we always used to make woven paper hearts (the Scandinavian equivalent of making paper chains in the classroom in the UK leading up to Christmas) and these by Charlotte are a modern take on that tradition.

      Here you can find Charlotte's PDF for the mouse template and also a video demonstration on how to.

      Woven mouse template

      Woven mouse video demonstration

      Below are a few snaps of my attempts.  these were whipped up fairly quickly, I had so much fun!



      Charlotte suggested playing around with the eyes as that gives
      each woven animal their own personality, I tend to agree
      with her.  This mouse looks how I feel most days!

      The beauty with the videos is you can
      stop and pause whenever you need to

      It's a tradition with the woven hearts to hand them on the Christmas
       tree with nuts or sweets, so I added some chocolates
      to the deer and mouse.  All ready and waiting
      for some small visitors over the festive season,
      lovely little treat bags.




      I've got my eye on making Charlotte's Elves next and she has also kindly linked a PDF and video tutorial here too:  Elves

      Woven elves,
      next on my list to make

      Woven mouse

      Woven deer



        Do you dabble in any form of paper crafting? 



      8 comments:

      1. Replies
        1. Thanks Karen. I don't think a year goes by without me making at least one woven decoration x

          Delete
      2. What a lovely idea, I think my youngest would adore making these. Very cleverly done.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. They are great fun CJ. A tad fiddly at first but percivere and it all comes to together a d the second one you make become easy. Enjoy. X

          Delete
      3. Thank you for those lovely words and for sharing my love for woven ornaments. Your mouse is just adorable although he looks like he needs to sit down with a nice cup of tea and a few of your Christmas cookies ;)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Yes, we do need to remember to slow down at this time of year. Again, Charlotte, thank you for such lovely designs

          Delete
      4. I love these and last year I remember admiring your red and white hearts, too. Lovely! ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. These were such a fun take on the traditional Linne

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...