• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Advent Calendars

      Who doesn't love a good advent calendar?  I seem to be a bit of an advent calendar fan having made my first homemade version at the age of 16.  To be honest, I have lost count of the ones I have made ranging
      Advent calendar with little notes
      inside for small activities to do each day

      from several embroidery ones,  a couple of sewn ones, to paper ones, a pegboard one, a mindfulness one and thoughts of the day one and even a Christmas joke one to last year one based around a wreath.   But nothing has made me prouder than the advent calendar or should I say calendars as five were made, that my daughter decided to make for her friends.  She said after the last few months she wanted to spread her love of Christmas and the Advent season with her nearest and dearest.  Gosh, my heart    swelled.

      So a couple of weeks ago when Ella came to me to ask for a bit of help in her crafting I was delighted.  Delighted because she instigated it and was not cajoled, coerced, threatened that she had to make something to give to family members, as this is a time for giving, but she chose to do it and to make for people that she did not really have to make for and because she wanted to spread happiness.  That to me was Christmas joyful bliss.  Perhaps the next generation of my family too will carve out their own Christmas traditions whilst holding onto the warmth and joy they found here in the eclectic home...

      The dining room table was commandeered, Ella on one side beavering away, asking for the very occasional advice and me on the other side, gleefully playing with Fimo clay ( a post to come in a day or two) whilst on a zoom call with mamma in Norway and my sister in Sweden.  We all raised a glass whilst chatting and crafting.  We may be many miles away from each other but we do the best we can, as we all are trying to do.

      Isn't technology both a blessing and a curse.  Zoom calls,
      FB and watts app video calls have kept us in touch
      with those, we cannot physically be with,
      more so than ever this year


      I think Ella thought that making a paper advent calendar would be a quick make but in reality with all the thought, gathering of materials, cutting, glueing working out the logistics of where to position and how to create the doors, it took her several days, whilst holding down a full-time job and being nagged by me to help around the house and cook the occasional family meal whilst also pulling her weight to walk our new puppy.  The girl did well.  Albeit, she surprised herself at the time it all took, but that's crafting for you isn't it and anything that you care about always takes time.





      First, she cut out a template of 24
      windows for the advent calendar


      Next, she wrote out the daily activities on a
      separate card in corresponding boxes to the cutouts

      She created a Christmas montage from old magazines 
      and Christmas cards, stickers and anything else she fancied.  And then
      the tricky part was to cut out the doors to correspond to the writing
      that would be revealed behind.  We had a few hiccups along the way here. 
      Namely mirroring the windows so they did not correspond to the writing,
      which then had to be redone on one of the calendars.  Each calendar had different
      activities depending who was to be the recipient.

      Anna receiving her Advent calendar
      socially distanced and outdoors of course

      Anna had no idea and it was a surprise
      to receive an Advent calendar from Ella

      Anna at home on December 1st, having opened the first door.
      A note from her mum reads:  A very kind and thoughtful
      young lady has made Anna an activity advent
      calendar. First task is to decorate her bedroom 🌲xx


        As an adult do you have an advent calendar or is it just for youngsters do you think? 


      24 comments:

      1. This post is so inspiring, Selma! I've never had an Advent calendar and never made one for my sons, either. It just wasn't part of my upbringing, which combines the influences of Norwegian Lutheran on my Mum's side with Mennonite on my Dad's side. But I've always wanted to make one. Maybe this is the year, even though the month has begun . . .

        I am so impressed by Ella's thoughtfulness and then doing the work to make these! She certainly shows your influence. You must be so proud! I can only imagine how her friends must have felt as they began opening theirs . . .

        I'll let you know if I actually get one created this year. Thanks again!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. ooh please do let me know if you do make one. You are so creative, it would be lovely to see what you come up with. It you didn't have time to make one for every day, you could have one a week perhaps? think we all need as much special treatment and cheer as we can allow xxx

          Delete
        2. Will let you know, for sure! I just added that to my growing list of projects . . . Ideas are the easy part, as you know. Thanks for the encouragement.

          Delete
      2. What a lovely gesture, Ella. A gift of real love and joy. Each year I enjoy an advent countdown with my class. This has evolved over the years to include an elf (similar to the dreaded elf on the shelf that so many of them have ). In November the children all decorate an envelope with Christmas pictures. I collect them in and leave them in view fir our use in December. They mysteriously disappear and then each morning our little elf appears somewhere a little mischievous with one of the children’s envelopes. It contains a Christmas chocolate and a class challenge for us to complete before we start our daily timetable. The child whose envelope it is gets to open it, enjoy the chocolate snd lead the challenge. Yesterday’s first envelope created great excitement as elf had sailed across a table in a model cruise ship (our half term task having been to make a transport model). Today he is lounging in a hammock on our story display board. Lots of fun to come!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Oh Helen, how absolutely wonderful, bet the class just LOVE this xxx

          Delete
      3. How fabulous. Just love that you and Ella crafted together, and that her dork will have brought so much joy.
        Love your ideas Helen too!

        ReplyDelete
      4. How lovely!! Ella did good! My daughter isn't very crafty (well not in the arty way!) but joined me in a painting evening online recently. She was amazed how good her painting was ��.
        On the advent theme, we have little red stockings that I fill with chocolates or the occasional small bottle of port for my husband!! Love Karen xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. She really did Karen. OOH love the idea of the online painting evening, I have not come across that! What a lovely idea to add the small bottle of port, ummm... that makes me think of a few ideas for next year...

          Delete
      5. Oh, that's just perfect! She's obviously inherited your creative/artistic ability. Does she ever crochet or knit?

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. She has totally shied away from any yarn related craft for years Phil, but this summer she has tentatively dipped her toe into crochet. I'm not pushing, let's see if it catches on...

          Delete
      6. How lovely!!! Such a nice way to share and enjoy advent and to share the crafting joy with you too. I am sure Ella will follow many of your crafting endeavours and traditions as she goes through her own adult life. Xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You've hit the nail on the head Amy, I think this time of year is all about sharing and being together and it was just lovely. I really do hope they seep into her life as an adult, after all that is why I began this blog, so she had a record if ever she felt the need...

          Delete
      7. That is wonderful, such a joy to see the crafting love spread and the thoughtfulness of giving to others. A real delight and a great project.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. How wonderful to see you back here. It did indeed give me joy and I hope she has spread her own joy now to others xxx

          Delete
      8. Mr CK makes me an Advent Calendar every year and now as we don't have a coloured printer anymore, he's painted one. I'm over the moon! I love Ella's ideas with the collage and fun things to do for her friends, it's just what they need this year. x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Oh Karen, how absolutely lovely. Even more special that he painted one this year, love everything about this x

          Delete
      9. It's not something I grew up with but definitely could get on board with having. :) Sounds like it definitely took a lot of thought to come up with so many activities for the different recipients.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Yes Tammy, I think having an adult advent calendar is the way to go. We don't need to let the youngsters have all the fun do we?

          Delete
      10. I always give advent calendars to my three boys and their partners. This year they are homemade with a selection of chocolates, jokes and tree ornaments inside. They heartily approve. Yours are lovely. B x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It's a lovely thing to create and do, isn't it Barbara, glad they approve and thanks

          Delete
      11. Your daughter has a kind and generous heart. Anna looks thrilled with her calendar. X

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. She really does Jules and yes Anna seems happy x

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...