• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Chocolate mousse cookies

      Today I share with you the last of the seven bakes for Christmas.  We of course bake 
      other things but we only cook seven types of cookies. We also bake  Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, kransekake (see here) and chocolate roulade ~ a true family favourite  (see here), along with other things that catch our fancy, it is a foodie time of year where we perhaps eat a tad too much but come together as a family and share in this culinary feast.  This year as we all know is different and many families and friends are separated for reasons beyond their control and we are the same in this household.  Today for the first time I made chocolate mousse cookies as my daughter is not a Norwegian spice kind of girl, give her her Asian heritage spice and away she goes but not the warmth of Norwegian cookies, so  these are for her...

      Chocolate Mousse Cookies


      Chocolate Mousse Cookies
      You will need:

      3 egg white
      200g sugar
      2 tsp vanilla sugar
      250g good quality dark chocolate
      200g walnuts ~ these could be omitted
      2 tbsp corn starch

        Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
        Add the sugars and continues to whisk till they form a lovely glossy meringue.
        Melt the chocolate over a Bain Marie and allow to cool until it is room temperature but still completely melted, you do not want it beginning to form a solid again.
        Carefully fold the chocolate into the meringue.
        Add the chopped walnuts and corn starch and continue to fold in gently.  You do not want to loose the air or make the meringue change it's consistency, if over mixed it will become a runny mix.
        Put a tablespoon of mixture onto lined baking sheets, leaving a good amount of space between each one as they will spread out quite a bit.  
      ♥  Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes.
        As you take them out of the oven they will appear to be very soft, leave them on the baking sheets to cool for several minutes and they will stiffen up a bit.  
        Very carefully transfer them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.  these meringue like cookies are very fragile.

      These cookies melt in the mouth



      These gorgeous mousse like meringue cookies are delicious but do not last very long.  Bake and eat within 3-4 days

      The best way to describe them are  something akin to a chocolate brownie and a meringue.  
      Delicious!

        How are your preparations coming along? 

      6 comments:

      1. Oh, those sound so delicious! Another for my collection . . .

        I made a version of kransekake for my wedding cake, to honour my Norwegian ancestry (I'm half Norwegian by blood), but mine was the one where you cook a sugar syrup to the candy stage, then dip three forks held back to back in the syrup and carefully drizzle it over the stack, making a shimmering coating reminiscent of a veil. It was very tasty, too!

        And the mocha roulade I have made several times; the first was for what turned out to be my Mum's last Mother's Day. She and my Aunty both loved it and it's been a favourite with everyone who's tasted it since then. It's especially nice because it's good for anyone with Crohn's or similar, not having gluten in it. But still so decorative. And simple to make, too. I can't thank you enough for that one, especially.

        So I know that these cookies will also be yummy!

        I am wrapping gifts for the second night in a row and will have a few more to do tomorrow night. I've made one crocheted Nisse (I think I shared the photo on the facebook page) and also a couple of small Christmas trees (for those I used the cotton dishcloth variegate in white, red and green. They look nice, but I need to make one more, a little larger . . . I am not mailing cards, but include one with gifts, so I'm writing those as I wrap.

        Hope you are almost ready yourself. Sp lovely you have the 'kids' home with you for the holidays.

        I'm so, so grateful that you have posted daily for December again. You have no idea how much you brighten the world with your words and photos (and recipes!). Warm hugs to you, Selma . . .

        ReplyDelete
      2. I missed you! Hope you had a lovely Christmas, all the best for 2021 in case you don't come back again. Take care xx

        ReplyDelete
      3. Delicious recipe, will try at my home soon. it will surely taste great with ribeye cooked in a Drum Smoker .

        ReplyDelete
      4. I missed your posts this year, but I do understand <3 I think of you whenever I look at the wee red and white items in my room and the cute troll I made after reading your post. And the wire angel . . . (that still doesn't have a companion).

        I hope you and your family had a good Christmas, Selma. I wish you all the best in this coming year . . .

        ReplyDelete
      5. Thanks for your passion and insight in making this blog so informative

        ReplyDelete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...