• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Ginger Lemon Cookies

      Today's post brings you the fourth of the seven bakes for Christmas.  As many of you know here in the eclectic home we bake seven cookies each and every December as is the custom in Norway. Today's cookies are up there amongst my favourite and I must admit to not only baking these at Christmas because they are just soooo good.  The warmth of the ginger is perfectly complemented by the zest of the lemon, these buttery cookies really do melt in the mouth, yet also have a great snap. 

      Ginger Lemon Cookies ~ makes approximately 30
      You will need:

        125g butter, room temperature
        250g sugar
        grated zest lemon
        225g plain flour
        1 tsp baking powder
        4 tsp ground ginger



      Use a fork to slightly flatten the balls of dough
        Mix the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
        Add the remaining ingrediants and mix to form a dough.
        Divide the mixture into thirds.  [At this point, I make a descion if I am going to bake all the cookies at once or whether I will cover in cling film one or two portions and keep in the fridge until needed.  this dough if kept airtight will last for about a week in the fridge.  It could also be frozen for up to four weeks.  Just remember to defrost throughly before continuing with the next steps.]
       Each portion should make between 8 -10 balls.  Place the small balls of dough on lined baking sheets, leaving plenty of room between each.  
      ♥  Using a fork, gently push each dough ball to flatten it slightly, see photograph.    
        Bake in a pre heated oven of 160 degrees Celcius for 10-12 minutes or until slighly golden.
        Cool on a wire rack before enjoying.


      Freshly baked ginger lemon cookies


      Stacked cookies make a great gift


      Time for a spiced tea and a cookie,
      can you see a piece of lemon zest in the cookie,
      it's such a complimentary flavour to the warmth of the ginger

        Just over two weeks to Christmas Eve, how are your preparations going? 

      4 comments:

      1. Well, those are two of my favourite flavours, too! Oh, my . . . these sound so, SO tempting . . .

        We don't do much here for Christmas, but when I had my own place, I loved to decorate. And I didn't bake much during the year (except for bread, of course), but I began baking for Christmas in early November. We didn't have electricity, but lived in a large, hand-built, two-story log house that was over 100 years old. It had a long addition on the north side and one end of that was a cold room by nature. I kept the baking in there, in a variety of tins. We began enjoying them the week before Christmas and all through until after Little Christmas. I made my Christmas cake in late October, but wrapped it in cheesecloth after soaking it with brandy. A layer of clingfilm and another of aluminium foil kept it lovely until the following year. I used my own recipe, which was way more fruit and nuts than dough . . . If I ever see my recipes again, I'll share them with you.
        This year, though, I doubt I'll be baking. I may hang an ornament or two in my room . . . but first I have to make them. So glad to have your posts to refer to!

        Thanks again for this recipe. I'll definitely be adding it to my "Eclectic Cookbook". Have a great day, my friend! <3

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ooh Linne would love some of your recipes, would be lovely.

          Delete
      2. These look good Selma; I'm going to try these.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Do Jan, as soon as they were made they were eaten. Have more dough in the fridge though so all good, phew!

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...