• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Japenese flower

      First attempt at a
      kanzashi flower
      It's been a tough year on so many levels this year, am I right?  From little almost insignificant things to life-changing, life-altering happenings.  When you talk to people almost everyone has a story to tell. And then there are some people who you watch and think wow, you really are one of the stars in this world and you do not realise it.



      This said a lovely friend asked me to make her a fabric brooch in a family tartan that she wanted to wear to a special occasion.  It was an important affair and she was to be standing in front of many people and was to be watched via a live online platform too.  She asked if it could show the tartan well and be of a reasonable size but all she had was a 21 inch square of the fabric.  This was how I was introduced to the amazing world of fabric origami and the fun to make Japanese kanzashi flower.  Not heard of it, no neither had I but it is now something I shall return to again and again and would make the most amazing Christmas brooch.  In fact, I did just that...
      Old cotton trousers
      transformed into a
      kanzashi flower

               

      The tartan kanzashi brooch gifted to my friend
       

      These kanzashi brooches were made in June







      Equipment needed for
      Kanzashi flower making

      Kanzashi flower 

      You will need:

      cotton fabric measuring 21 square inch
      fabric scissors or wheel cutter
      tape measure
      pins
      sewing machine
      iron
      needle and thread
      fabric stiffener ~ optional but recommended


      Cut out seven squares of fabric with 9cm sides. Iron each one.



      Fold the squares diagonally, keeping the
      fabric design showing on the outside. 
      Iron to create a crisp fold.


      Fold the right-hand corner towards the top corner

      Repeat with the left side.  


      Iron to create sharp folds.


      Turn the square over and fold back
      each side so they meet but do not overlap

      Here you see the front on the left
      of the photo and the back on
      the right of the photo. Hold with pins and iron.

      All folded and ironed, pins removed.

      Pick up the folded square and fold in
      half vertically as shown in the above photograph.
      This shows how the front looks.
      Remember to do this for all seven.


      This shows the back at this stage.

       
      Hold each in place with a pin.

      Snip off the end of each petal as shown above,
      just taking off the slanted section.

      All petals sniped.

      To join the petals together take a needle and
      thread and just a few millimetres up from the bottom
      sew through all the layers of the petal and repeat for
      each one.  Be careful
      DO NOT TO PULL TIGHT at this stage.

      Ensure from one white cross to the next
      that you go through all the layers of fabric. 
      This is the front of the brooch.



      This is the back of the flower brooch.

      To sew the actual petals together which binds the whole
      thing, sew each edge from one petal to the
      neighbour petal together, see next photograph
      for further clarification.

       
      Sew from one red arrow across to the next petal


      Once each petal is sewn with the next,
      gently pull the threads together to
      form a tighter flower.  Be gentle or the thread
      will snap. This is the front of the flower.


      This is the back of the flower.

      Here you can clearly see how the flower has been stitched together.


      Once the flower petals have been pulled tight
      together and you have fastened off
      your thread, it is time to open out the petals. Here you
      see one petal opened. It is a question of just putting your
      thumbs into the petal and pushing away the edges
      of the fabric to open up.  Depending on the type
      of material you use will depend on how well it
      will hold it's shape on its own.  It may be you need to
      either spray or glue on some fabric stiffener.

      A Christmas Kanzashi Flower Brooch. 
      You need to sew on a brooch fastener
      to the back and you are all done.

      Kanszashi flower.  I left the Christmas Kanzashi brooch
      like this, but if you look at the summer Kanzashi flowers I made,
      I also covered a button in the same material and added it to the
      centre of the flower.  Both versions work just as well.


      On this thin cotton fabric, I brushed on
      fabric stiffener after I had assembled the flower.

      I have realised that I cannot show you the brooch being worn as both that I made for Christmas have been wrapped and gifted! But they obviously look like the summer ones above but in the holly fabric!

        Do you wear Christmas embellishments? 


      9 comments:

      1. Selma you are AMAZING. A true friend. And the tartan flower broach looks fantastic xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Don't know about that Beth but I enjoyed the challenge.

          Delete
      2. They are beautiful, what a great make.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. They really are a good make, great to bring out every now and then to add to and compliment an outfit.

          Delete
      3. Wow!! I love origami, although I've done very little of it myself. These are beautiful, aren't they? I think I like the ones with button centres best, but really, they are all great.

        If you want to make the stitching easier and stronger, I highly recommend using dental floss instead of thread. One of my sons used to make footbags to sell and that's what he used. Stands up to lots of hard wear. (also great for beading so long as the holes are large enough).

        I have things like Christmas earrings that I used to wear, but all my jewellery is packed into the storage; no idea where exactly. So I'll wait. In the meantime, I have a lovely red poppy zip pull that I bought from a veteran in Yorkshire. That is on my black padded vest; it co-ordinates well with my red fabric mask, so I look a bit Christmassy, at least. I used to wear Christmas or other holiday themed jewellery when I worked in the craft store; usually something I'd made myself.

        Well, thanks for another great idea! I so look forward to these posts; just puts me in the mood . . . Sending warm, virtual hugs . . .

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Loving the dental floss tip Linne, genius, will DEFINATLEY be using that, thanks so much.

          Delete
        2. Dental floss is particularly great for things like buttons on a coat. As soon as I buy something like that, I like to overstitch the threads on the buttons. Then I never lose one . . . It's good for children's buttons, too. I often use the minty floss, as it smells nice while I'm stitching . . . Glad to give you the tip, Selma.

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...