• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Snow cookies

      We now now into the week of Christmas, today is the fourth Sunday in Advent and the countdown really begins.  Our home has

      Snow cookies with a warming spice 

      smelt of baking now for a few weeks and unlike other years, we seem to be eating most of the cookie baking.  I have delivered some cookie packages but not as many as I would have liked, hopefully I will be delivering more in the next few days.  How are your Christmas preparations going.  We have decided not to see older members of the family for obvious reason and it will make for a different Christmas.  But we are holding on to being able to in the not so distant future, have a good old big family shindig once we are allowed and it is safe to do so.

      Today's cookies are the 6th that I share out of the 7 that I am baking this year.  these are traditionally made with only cocoa powder and the other spices are omitted but as it is the season for warmth, spices have been added today.  Should you wish to omit the spices and travel don't he traditional route, then use 2 tbsp. of cocoa.

      Don't hold back on the dusting of
      the icing sugar, here more is better
      I rolled the dough balls in icing sugar although
      it is nicer to roll them in caster sugar

      Snøkake ~ 

      Spiced Snow Cookies


      You will need: 

      150g sugar

      75g  softened butter

      1 egg

      300 plain flour

      1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder

      1 tsp ground cinnamon
      1 tsp ground ginger
      1 tsp ground cloves
      1 tsp ground cardamom
      1 tsp baking powder

      sugar for rolling the dough into

      icing sugar for dusting



      Place the Snow balls spaced apart
      as they will spread a bit on baking
      ♥  Mix together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
      ♥  Add the egg gradually and continue to mix.
      ♥  Mix in the spices and the baking powder to form a dough.
      ♥  Place in cling film and leave in the fridge for a minimum of half an hour.
      ♥ Pre heat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius and line a couple of baking sheets
      ♥  Divide the dough into three equal parts.  Then divide each of those balls into eight equal parts, leaving you with 24 pieces of dough.
      ♥  Roll each piece into a ball and then roll them in a bowl of sugar.
      ♥  Place on lined baking sheets leaving room between each as they will spread a little.
      ♥  Dust over each dough ball with a very generous coating of icing sugar.
      ♥  Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies have begun to crack.
      ♥  Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before transferring onto a wire rack
      ♥  These cookies can be frozen, although I have not done that, but must be thawed thoroughly before serving.  Otherwise they should last a week to ten days in an air tight container.





      Bake until the cookies have just begun to crack

      Snø kake ~ Eat and be merry!

        Government announcement yesterday has changed our plans for Christmas, but we will try and keep the Christmas cheer, sending you warmth and good wishes in this difficult time 

      15 comments:

      1. These look a bit like chocolate snickerdoodles. I baked a huge batch of those yesterday and lebkuchen which I will half coat in chocolate today. Presents for my fellow coaches.
        All your recipes are so good. I use the archive too!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I keep meaning to ask you for the snickerdoodles as I have heard great things

          Delete
      2. Mmm, sound lovely. Is it teaspoons or tablespoons of cocoa? Haven't made the oat ones yet but as have now finished work, I should have some baking time! Xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hi Karen, if not using spices I use 2 tsbp of cocoa but you could reduce it to have a less dark taste if that makes sense. Enjoy, let me know how you get on x

          Delete
      3. We have been buying fresh cookies at our local grocery store (same company my Mum shopped at back in the late 50s to mid 60s). One of the varieties looks just like your photos and has a similarly spicy flavour. I'm the only one who loves them, so I'm lucky! They are especially nice, I think, with my favourite hot mocha, which I have just after my brunch. Love the combination! But one day I hope to try your recipe, too.

        ReplyDelete
      4. You'll have to send out parcels of your lovely biscuits to cheer all your family and friends up . . . if the Post Office is open! x

        ReplyDelete
      5. I'm so sorry you have to lockdown again, but hopefully it is all for the best. It is hard not seeing family and friends this time of year.

        Those delicious cookies should help the day be festive.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It is what is is and after a few moments of sadness and reflection I am usually able to pick myself up, stay safe Dee x

          Delete
      6. Christmas Eve is traditionally the big family get together and dinner here in Alicante. We are usually 20 to 28 people for dinner that night. Of course this wont happen this year. We will be just Sr P and myself this Christmas Eve. Christmas Day we stick to the UK custom and we have lunch with my immediate family;we will be 4. The max is 6 here . My baking starts tomorrow as I want to get as much done as possible in advance. I have been looking for a new biscuits or scones recipe and I am going to try out this recipe of yours. They do look delicious!! Many thanks for sharing.:-) Thank you also for visiting my blog. keep well Amanda :-)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hi. Just saw you were looking for a good scone recipe. This is the best I've found so far:

          https://www.potsandpins.com/blog/2010/07/buttercream-scones.html

          I love these as given, but I usually tweak the recipe to make it more healthy. Hope you like it!

          Delete
        2. Many thanks Linne! I'll give it a go :-) stay safe Amanda x

          Delete
        3. What a lovely tradition Amanda, love that you are usually sop many, it will indeed be different this year. Mamma often spent Chrsitmas not far from you in Torrevieja, she loved it and used to have painting classes on the beach every Tuesday, sounds like a great place to be. Hope you like this recipe, do let me know how you get on with it Stay well yourself x

          Delete
        4. I have just posted my feedback about the Snow Cookies on my blog. A x

          Delete
      7. The snow cookies look lovely! I could go for one right now. Happy New Year!
        Amalia
        xo

        ReplyDelete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...