• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Breakfast rusks

      December 10th 2018

      Breakfast rusks
      I tend to bake sweet things and less the savoury.  My husband is an extraordinarily great cook and my efforts pale into insignificance, we make a great partnership but every now and again I foray into his world.

      A fabulous book landed on my doorstep not so long ago, I had pre-ordered it having already purchased over the years Bronte's previous two Scandinavian books, so I knew that I would enjoy the next one too.  Bronte's book   If you buy one recipe book this year, I urge you to buy this one ~ I am not paid to say this, nor do I know the author, I just genuinely love her cookbooks.
      Over coffee and sitting by the fire, I came across a recipe that made me think back to help yourself breakfasts and the aisles of a Norwegian supermarket and decided it was time for me to try my hand for the first time into breakfast rusks.  As a child I loved rusks but in Scandinavia, these hard, almost dried cold toast like consistency bites are to be found everywhere, I'm not selling it, am I?  Bare with, they ARE good.


      One of the  latest edition of Scandinavian
      food books to hit our shelves
      As with all things Christmassy in Scandinavia, we like to throw in some spice and the old cardamom favourite is the star in these rusks.  Make some for a leisurely side to a weekend breakfast or have them ready to eat and go on a weekday morning.

      Cardamom Rusks ~ makes about 40

      You will need:

      100g softened butter
      50g soft light brown sugar
      400g white strong flour
      100g wholemeal flour
      2 tsp ground cardamom
      2 tsp baking powder
      After creaming the butter and sugar,
      add all ingredients, it will
      start to form crumbs and then
      mould it to a dough
      1 egg
      200ml milk
      1/2 tsp salt



        Preheat oven to 220 Celcius and line baking tray with greaseproof paper.
        Cream butter and sugar, then add all the remaining ingredients.
        Roll out the dough, it will be sticky, use extra flour, into balls, about the size of an egg.  Place on baking sheets.
        Bake for 10 minutes.
      ♥  Remove from the oven and then carefully slice each roll in half.
        Replace on baking tray cut-side up.
        Reduce oven temperature to 180 Celcius and bake for a further 15-20 minutes.
        Ensure the rusks are baked through for a very crispy result.
        Leave in the oven with the door open to dry completely and crisp up.
        Eat with butter and jam or cheese and preserves.


      Beginning to form a dough

      Roll the dough into egg sized balls


      Bake initially for only 10 minutes
      Then cut the rusks in half before
      returning to a reduced heat oven

      Once completely dry, eat and enjoy your rusks,
      they make for a great breakfast or snack

      Cardamom rusks



        Do you vary what you eat for breakfast, 
      or do you have the same thing every day? 

      12 comments:

      1. I'm a creature of habit - it's porridge with stewed fruit and yogurt for me :) I never get tired of it!

        ReplyDelete
      2. I can smell the cardamom from here! x

        ReplyDelete
      3. Rusks are very popular here. Storebought, of course. Haven't heard of anyone actually making their own. I change up my breakfasts. This morning it was toast with cashew butter, dates and cinnamon. So yummy!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I also vary my breakfasts, rusks are not very popular in the UK, interesting that they are with you

          Delete
      4. We tend to stick to the same breakfast porridge with fruit.

        ReplyDelete
      5. We tend to stick to a mix of cereals with sliced banana, but those rusks look delicious! I hope to try this recipe! Especially as I love cardamoms! Every day I (or preferably DH) crush cardamom pods and add them to my Earl Grey tea ..... sweetened with honey .... delish!
        Barbara x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Wow, Barbara, he's a keeper doing that for you. Let me know what you think of them. Each morning when I've been opening the airtight jar with the rusks inside, I am greeted with a wonderful sublet cardamom smell, just divine

          Delete
      6. Those sound so yummy, Selma! Another one for my list! I don't remember ever having anything with cardamom when I was growing up, so it will be exciting to try these. And I like Barbara's Earl Grey tea with cardamom added. I really like Earl Grey, so this may become my holiday tea . . .

        I do like to have different breakfasts, especially when I'm cooking for others, too. When it's just for me, I alternate some form of eggs, citrus and toast or scone with porridge, sliced banana or cooked apple and yoghurt. I like pancakes or waffles for Sunday brunch, too.

        hugs ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. When you get round to making these I am sure you will love them, just remember they are rusks and so therefore quite hard. x

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...