• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Scandinavian woven decorations

      December 11th 2018 
      Scandinavian woven paper craft

      I had a good fortune recently to meet up with a talented Dane named Charlotte.  When I say meet, it was of the virtual kind, those that are quite commonplace now but ten, twenty years ago would have been unimaginable.  Charlotte is an inspiration, look at her About Page on her blog, wow, just wow.  All about Charlotte , a small snippet from her about page had me hooked...


      I love to inspire creative women who are struggling with the Midlife Blues (or other life transitions) to reconnect with their creativity and true selves so they can live inspired lives

      ... is that not powerful.


      Even my daughter has woven hearts in her student kitchen
      I came across Charlotte as she has produced a clear beautifully styled book on paper weaving.  Now here Charlotte and I may have to agree to differ and maybe myself and the world wide web may have to agree to differ too.  Because as far as I am concerned and most Norwegians I suspect feel this too, that the woven paper heart is a
      Norwegian tradition.  Every  Christmas I have made them for as long as I can remember, I made them with my mother and she in turn with her mother and I suspect she with hers too.  But for some unfathomable reason, the world and Charlotte think that these Christmas hearts should be called Danish woven hearts. I have even blogged about them twice before now 2013 and 2017


      Woven paper craft at it's best, photo from Charlotte's book
      So why write about them again?

      It's all because of Charlotte, her instructions are clear, the illustrations are colourful and her designs are delightful.  From the simple woven heart to more intricate looking, but really easy animal designs.
      There should be something for everyone who is of a crafty mind to find and enjoy.  In these days of mindfulness, this is something you could immerse yourself in for an afternoon or evening and think about nothing else than paper crafting Scandinavian style...Charlotte has kindly allowed me to share a sample from her book to give you a flavour with concise easy to follow instructions.







        Have a look, have a go and take time out to create your own piece of Norwegian (!) Christmas decoration 


      Don't forget to share anything that you make, it seems impossible to post photos on the comments attached to this post but please do upload some on the Eclectic Home Life facebook page:  


      6 comments:

      1. Thank you for sharing I have popped over to look at Charlotte's blog and will be following from now on. I have also found you on FB.

        Mitzi

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hello Mitzi, so glad you found me and am delighted I could introduce you to Charlotte. Welcome back here any time, warm regards Selma

          Delete
      2. Thanks for your lovely post, dear Selma. I'm happy you like my take on this lovely craft - let's agree to share this tradition Norwegians and Danes alike :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Sharing is good with me Charlotte, I love you work and your take on this old craft. Seasons greetings to you x

          Delete
      3. Oh, those look so interesting (and fairly easy to do, too)! Thanks for introducing us to Charlotte, too. I'm going over there next . . .

        Hope you are staying warm. We just had our first staying snows; not bad for almost mid-December. Love and Light ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. ooh, snow!! Lovely, although I know you have harsh winters in Canada, but to us here where we see it so seldom Linne, it makes me feel Christmassy

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...