• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Vanilla Wreath Cookies

      December 18th 2018

      Today I share with you the penultimate of the seven cookies that I will be baking for a 
      Vanilla Wreath Cookies
      Norwegian Christmas.  These vanilla based cookies are not dissimilar to shortbread, the difference being they are thinner and therefore really melt in the mouth and are very quick to make, only seven minutes in the oven!

      I do so hope the Advent time has been a joyful one for you all and that you are taking time out to enjoy.  As each year passes I become less stressed and think what will be will be.  I make and do that which I enjoy and no more.  These cookies are made most years and are truly one of the seven traditional cookies made by most Norwegian or if not made then bought.  These along with pepperkaker epitomise the Norwegian coffee table at Christmas. So let's get baking if you fancy it...


      Vanilla Wreath Cookies ~ makes about 40-50

      You will need:

      2 vanilla pods
      Divide the dough into sections
      175g plain flour
      125g sugar
      pinch of salt
      200g butter, straight from the fridge
      100g ground almonds
      1 egg yolk


        Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
        Rub in chopped butter with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
        Split the vanilla pods and scrape out the seeds and add to the mixture along with the ground almonds.
        Add the egg yolk and using your hands' mix to form a dough. Kneading in the bowl or on a lightly floured surface for a couple of minutes.
        Wrap in cling film and chill for a minimum of two hours or preferably overnight, but it is not necessary.
        Preheat oven to 200 Celcius.




      Form sausage shapes before
      making them into wreaths
      From the sausage lengths form circle shapes


        Either roll out the dough or using food processor attachment with a star-shaped nozzle make sausage length of about 6 cm long and a diameter wide.  NOTE:  I tried piping these with a piping bag once, it does not work, so either roll out, use the food kransekake) then use that.  I also mark out the dough into sections to give me an idea of how many each portion should give me, to try and keep it the same size.  I divided mine hereinto 8, so I hoped to get 6-7 out of each section.
      processor method or if like me you have a
      metal piping contraption (used for piping
        Shape each sausage length into a flat circle like wreath, see the photograph.
        Place on  lined baking sheets.
        Bake for 7 minutes or until very lightly golden.
        Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.  Although I doubt they will last this long.


      Eat and enjoy, bet you have more than one!


        What preparations do you enjoy doing for Christmas?   

      8 comments:

      1. I used the last of my pepperkaker dough yesterday - I may need to make these :) I'm intrigued by your food processor attachment!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Mmm. Me too. For sure I don't have a food processor attachment but am mightily heartened by NOT needing to pipe!

          Delete
        2. Perfect timing to make these Shelagh. I do not have the cookie extraction piece that fits to the mincer on a food processor but a friend of mine has. will share a photo tomorrow on the blog .

          Delete
      2. These sound scrumptious! We don't have vanilla pods, so will have to see if they are pricey at the store or not. If too much, I'll just use vanilla. My cousins have a kitchenaid; will have to ask about the attachment. But for me, it may be just as quick to use my hands and not have the clean-up afterwards.

        I was thinking about the pepperkaker, too. I think a plate holding both would be pretty, don't you?

        I'll see what's possible this year. But have been adding your recipes to my plans for later years. I love the sound of all of them!!

        Have a great day, Selma! Hugs ~ Linne

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I am sure you could used flavoured sugar with vanilla, or vanilla extract instead Linne.

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...