• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Glass

      December 17th 2018

      Glass cocktail stirrer
      The art of glass entered my life a few years ago and I can honestly say it has brought me joy.  From
      the first scratchy cut on the glass to opening the kiln to see what the heat has done to my simple creations, there is nothing, nothing that I do not like about it.

      Despite not having really made much this year, the Christmas spirit began to seep into me through the fusing of glass, from looking and searching out ideas, to sketching some thoughts down on paper and then tweaking the ideas once I began to cut has been so much fun.  Want to see my little creations?

      The first Christmas haul included 'nisse' and some trees

      From the three nisse in the kiln to before firing, look what the heat did...







      I made little heart tokens in all shapes and sizes, some to hang, some as little pebbles and a few as stitch markers too.

      Hanging hearts with frit and wire

      Pebble token hearts with copper and
      heart stitch markers

      I made glass for the talented Kim at Little Hearts who has two cats, this was my version of her feline friends...

      Cats in glass

      And then I made some Christmas tree cocktail stirrers, before firing...

      Cocktail stirrers in glass before firing

      Christmas tree cocktail stirrers made in glass

      A glass tree in tack fusing to give some texture
      My husband is not kind to his cufflinks and losing them or treads on them, who knows what he does to them, so this year, he will have four almost identical pairs!

      Glass boat cufflinks

      Then finally we came upon the idea of trying to slump some bottles and see what that would do...


      I added some copper hearts to one and thick
      kiln paper in the bottleneck to keep the opening

      Look closely you can see how I am trying to
      keep the neck open so it will not fuse shut

      It worked!  Fused bottle with an open neck so I could add flowers!

      Can you see how the bottle has become flat!


      Now if you will excuse me, I think I may go drink a few glasses of something so that I may make some more glass presents out of bottles... hic...


        Have you decided to make any presents this year? 


      12 comments:

      1. I do love your fused glass! The cats are particularly cute :D

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Shelagh, compared to many I am not talented but it really is addicitive

          Delete
      2. They are beautiful. How cute are the little cats for your friend! She is going to love them.

        I'm so glad you stopped by my blog so I could learn about YOURS!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. She said she liked them Dee, so that's good. I am glad you stopped by too xxx

          Delete
      3. I LOVE every single one of your glass creations! They are all so sweet and lovely!

        ReplyDelete
      4. Oh, I like them all!! And you are talented; it's a development journey, so you will continue to grow in the art. Don't worry about where others are; where you are is perfect!! And it's so good you take photos; later you will look back and see how much you have learned. But I honestly can't see anything I'd change in your work now. Well, one thing: I think the cuff links would be even nicer if half faced the other way. But that's me. I like my earrings to do that, too, although I generally prefer odd earrings (same materials, but slightly different design).

        I loved the textured tree, too. So pretty! But my favourite would have to be the flat wall bottle for flowers. What a great idea!

        Hugs from me. ~ Linne

        I can envision a tree decked with all glass hearts (well, maybe some Nisse, too haha). They would be

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I like the idea about the cufflinks Linne, I must admit I did wonder about that as I made them. Problem is i have now put them smewhere so very safe I cannot find them to wrap ready for Christmas!!!! Eeeek.

          Delete
      5. These are totally, absolutely GORGEOUS. Beautiful and so individual. WOW!

        ReplyDelete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...