• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Christmas Pot holders

      Christmas potholders, Norwegian style
      I tend to think about my Christmas makes towards the end of the summer and usually when I am home visiting mamma in Norway.  This year was no exception.  I returned to one of my favourite sources of inspiration the Norwegian website, GarnStudio and as usual, was not let down.  I fell instantly in love with the below pot holders and once I had made one, just had to make a second.  If you are a knitter, these are a breeze and will take you no time at all.  If you are new to knitting these are not complicated and Garn Studio has several accompanying videos, with no sound, so suitable for all languages; you just may have to stop and pause the video a couple of times to rewatch a small section, they are clear and have helped me on the odd occasion.  I find the Garn Studio patterns easy to follow and often if you have a query on a pattern they do respond fairly quickly.  

      Close up of stranded knitting, note the orange
      embroidery thread, marking the beginning of the
      row as this is knitted in the round 


      I love the name of this pattern, its called Oh Deer! To find this pattern, click on the link:  Oh Deer! pattern  The pattern called for Drops Muskat yarn but confess I did not have any, so used what I had to hand which was Drops Cotton Light, Dark red (17) and White (02) and think it worked well.  The chart to follow on this pattern is repeated twice so that each side of the potholder will have the deer pattern on.  Making the potholder on circular needles ensures that the potholder will do its job and protect your fingers as it has double the thickness. Finishing off at the end with making loop it attaches well to my oven and ready to use at every opportunity.  Just hope I don't have too many 'oh deer' moments in the kitchen this advent!


      Using the backdrop of a typical Norwegian shed
       painted in the usual barn red colour


      Whilst I had the potholders in Norway I also used
      the backdrop of my grand father's hand-carved work

      Are you a knitter or a crocheter?

       

      12 comments:

      1. What a lovely pattern, I’m going to check it our soon. I’m lucky to be a knitter and crocheter. Have a. Lovely weekend. B x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I love to be able to crochet and knit Barbara, means I can switch depending on my mood. Glad you like the pattern x

          Delete
      2. I love the pattern, the red and white is such a good combination and really Christmassy. X

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Every year Karen, I think I will try something other than red and white but it is where my heart lies, maybe one year I will stray...

          Delete
      3. Sticking with the crochet but I must try to find something similar. It looks so lovely and festive.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. And you are SOOOO good at crochet Helen, will see if I can muster something up for you, can't promise...

          Delete
      4. Gorgeous. Too good to use!

        ReplyDelete
      5. Your knitting is lovely, but can I confess that what I was really looking at was the window and the barn and your grandfathers incredible carving. Norway definitely has a piece of my heart! xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks Amy, yes Far was talented and we are lucky to have a few of his pieces and the shed is just so Norwegian typical

          Delete
      6. I love these and will buy some cotton yarn to make them; I think I'll also use some quilt batting in the centre for extra insulation. A perfect gift for this year, so thanks very much for this.

        My grandfather (FarFar) was also very skilled as a fine carpenter. When my Mum and her older sister married my Dad and his older brother, Grandpa made each of the women a large jewellery / dresser box by hand. Dad wanted me to have it and my sister dropped it off on her visit in September. I'll have to share some photos. He made the legs with his penknife! All this to explain why your grandfather's work caught my eye immediately. It's so beautiful! You are so fortunate to have some of his work to appreciate.

        Back to the potholders: I think I will get enough yarn to make four potholders for gifts (not the snowman, but the others) and make one or more for myself with the leftovers. Thanks again, Selma. Sending warm hugs . . .

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. So glad I was able to introduce you to these Linne. How lovely that you now have this in your possession, would love to see it x

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...